Asus Essence One MKII. USB DAC and headphone amplifier.
DAC AND AMPLIFIER DESCRIPTION
The Essence One MKII series improves on the superb Xonar Essence One series, winner of the 2012 CES Innovations Award and Japan’s prestigious VGP Awards in both 2012 and 2013.
Native DSD support
Essence One MKII series DACs stay true to the source audio, with support for 2.8MHz DSD through DSD over pulse-code modulation (PCM), known as DoP. DSD 2.8MHz format delivers 64 times (64X) the sampling rate of traditional compact disc (CD) recordings for audio playback at a resolution that is orders of magnitude higher.
Optimized for up to 600ohm-impedance and in-ear monitor(IEM) headphones with a dedicated gain jumper
The amplifier built in to the Essence One MKII DACs is engineered to drive both 600ohm-impedance headphones and 16ohm-impedance IEMs, thanks to the inclusion of a dedicated gain jumper for easy high/low gain settings. The result is an exquisite headphone amplifier that delivers remarkable listening experiences for all output preferences.
True balanced design
Essence One MKII DACs ultra-high-fidelity audio output and 120dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is aided by a true balanced design that draws on dual Texas Instruments PCM1795 DACs.
Eleven swappable op-amps
The Essence One MKII features 11 swappable op-amps for easy tonal tuning. Op-Amps serve a critical role in audio hardware, amplifying analog signals and determining tone and timbre characteristics. As user taste in tone character varies, dedicated audiophiles often choose to change op-amps to fine-tune performance. This feature has been proved highly popular in most audio forums worldwide with previous Essence series products.
Linear power supply with toroidal transformer
The DACs are also equipped with a linear power supply with a toroidal transformer to provide clean and consistent power that keeps noise contamination to a minimum. German-made WIMA® FKP 2 and FKS 2 film capacitors reduce ripples to deliver warm, rich sounds.
8X symmetrical upsampling technology
The Essence One MKII DACs offer 8X upsampling to preserve the finest details of the original audio and improve the output quality still further. Essence One MKII DACs employ symmetrical upsampling to improve 44.1/88.2 /176.4kHz input sources to 352.8kHz@32Bit and 48/96/192kHz sources all the way up to 384kHz@32Bit, while eliminating the jitter associated with asymmetrical upsampling.
Asynchronous USB audio
Standard internal clock compensation for different transfer rates between PCs and USB audio devices may still cause jitter, but Essence MKII DACs automatically adjusts buffer status to system output. It enables faster clock tuning and better jitter reduction for the best fidelity.
Native ASIO 2.2 driver
Essence One MKII DACs also support native Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) 2.2 drivers, which enables the digital signals to bypass Windows’ audio layers to avoid redundant processing — and that means bit-perfect audio output.
Balanced XLR outputs
Balanced XLR outputs offer higher quality output without unwanted noise and interference. Properly balanced lines integrate two signal-carrying conductors of equal magnitude but opposite polarity, causing noise along the cable to cancel out by the time it reaches the destination load.
Sample rate indicators
Sampling rates lighting will indicate according to the computers sample rate settings (44.1/ 48/ 88.2/ 96/ 176.4/ 192kHz).
- Native Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) support via DSD over PCM (DoP)
- Top-class headphone amplifier drives up to 600ohm-impedance headphones with a dedicated gain jumper
- Ultra-fidelity 120dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) with true balanced design
- Eleven swappable op-amps allow easy tonal tuning
- Jitter-free precision clock via asynchronous USB audio
- Linear power supply with toroidal transformer to ensure clean power to all circuits
- 8X symmetrical upsampling technology restores lossless audio
- USB 2.0 high-speed
- Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted) (Front-out): 120 dB
- Output THD+N at 1kHz (Front-out): 0.000316 %(-110 dB)
- Frequency Response (-3dB, 24bit/192KHz input): 10 Hz to 48 KHz
- Output/Input Full-Scale Voltage: Balanced XLR Output : 4 Vrms ( Vp-p), Line output (RCA, 3.5): 2 Vrms (Vp-p), Headphone output: 7 Vrms (Vp-p)
- Audio Processor :C-Media CM6631A High-Definition Sound Processor
Digital-to-analog Converter (DAC)
- TI PCM 1795
Sample Rate and Resolution
- Direct Digital Stream (DSD) Playback: Native conversion (DoP(DSD 64/2.8MHz))
- Analog Playback Sample Rate and Resolution: 44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz @ 16bit/24bit
- S/PDIF Digital Input: 44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz @ 16bit/24bit
- ASIO 2.2 Driver Support: 44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz @ 16bit/24bit with very low latency
- Upsampling capability: Up to 352.8 kHz (44.1K 88.2K 176.4KkHz input) or 384 kHz (48K/96K/192KkHz input), 32bit
- Analog Output: 1 x 6.3 mm jack (1/4″) Headphone out, 2 x RCA (Un-Balanced), 2 x XLR (Balanced)
- Digital: 2 x S/PDIF in (1 x Optical (Toslink)/1 x Coaxial)
- Windows® 10 , 32bit/64bit
- Windows® 8.1
- Windows® 8
- Windows® 7
- Mac OS X
- Driver CD x 1
- 6.3mm-to-3.5mm adapter x 1
- User manual x 1
- USB cable x 1
- Power cord x 1
- Fuse x 2
- 261.33 x 230 x 60.65 mm (L x W x H)
- Components: S/PDFI Receiver: AKM 4113, DSP: ADI ADSP-21261, Headphone amplifier: 2 x LME49600, Power Input Jack: IEC AC Inlet, Volume controller: Balanced Output: Quad Units Taper B Potentiometer; Headphone Output: Quad Units Taper B Potentiometer, Voltage Selector: AC 115V/223V Slide Switch
- Operational amplifier: Balanced/Un-balanced I/V:4 x NE5532, Balanced/ Un-balanced LFP: 2 x NE5532, Balanced /Un-balanced Buffer: 3 x LM4562NA, Headphone: 2 x LME49720
- Clock: Crystal clock: 12MHz For USB; 24.576MHz For S/PDIF, Oscillator: 45.1584MHz (for 44.1KHz sample rate); 49.152MHz (For 48KHz sample rate)