MrSpeakers ETHER Flow. Planar magnetic closed-back headphones.
MrSpeakers set three goals when they started the ETHER project: sound excellent, be more comfortable than their existing headphones, and have a timeless design.
So how does ETHER sound?
This product has been two years in the making, and many long nights have gone into creating a very detailed yet natural and organic sound. No question, ETHER’s their best work to date. They’re not going to go audiophile and poetic here; no blathering about air and soundstage, or whatever. Reviewers, enthusiasts and owners will do a fairer job than they ever could.
ETHER uses MrSpeakers’ patent-pending V-Planar driver, but with an innovative new tuning for the open-back design. Among other things, ETHER’s tuning delivers a somewhat stronger lower end, and offers a wealth of clarity and micro-details. ETHER also delivers a stunningly large soundstage and precision imaging, a function not only of the use of carbon fiber for the cups, but also the new tuning developed for this headphone.
One way the MrSpeakers team cut weight without sacrificing performance was to invent an industry-first: a headband made of NiTinol “memory metal.” NiTinol is super-light and ultra-cool because it’s very flexible so it gives a great fit with minimal clamp. They also designed a new flat ear pad that reduces the size of the headphone, provides a great seal, and is made from their signature lamb-leather so ETHER be worn for long sessions.
Designed, built and tested in San Diego, CA, ETHER Flow offers a 2 year warranty for parts and labor.
ETHER Flow includes a DUM cable and a backpack-friendly hard-shell carrying case.
- Weight: 370g
- Dimensions: 12 x 9 x 6 in
- DUM Dual-Entry Cable: 1/4″
- Impedance: 23 ohms
- Efficiency: 96dB/mW
- Driver: 2.75” x 1.75” MrSpeakers’ designed single-ended planar magnetic
- Precision machined Aluminum baffle, pivots and gimbals
- Nitinol “Memory Metal” Head-band
- Italian leather with microsuede headband
- Lamb-leather ear pads
- Matched drivers: +/- 1.5 dB between 30 and 5,000Hz (tentative)
- Innerfidelity: ETHER Flow is a World Class Headphone
- CNet: ETHER C Takes it to the Limit
- Head-Fi.org: Mad Lust Envy’s Gaming Guide Reviews ETHER C